We wouldn’t be the fastest growing independent company in San Francisco without your help. Below, read about the different ways to get involved, from volunteering to job openings.
Doing it our way since 1998, Custom Made has employed hundreds of artists, administrators and technicians, many of whom have gone on to LORT theatres, as well as Broadway and film/television careers.
Custom Made Theatre seeks a brand new position – the General Manager will be responsible for all aspects of day-to-day theatre management, including human resources, finance, and facilities. This is an exciting opportunity to cultivate a new role with a theatre entering its third decade of San Francisco producing, poised to grow into a full-time leadership position. The General Manager will wear many hats and have an opportunity to explore all aspects of theatre production.
- Serve as human resources manager, maintaining and providing to external parties as needed, all required documentation and policies/procedures; ensure company handbook is updated and provided to/reviewed with all staff.
- Directly responsible for recruitment, hiring, and supervision of operating staff; assist with production staff recruitment, hiring, and supervision.
- Attend production meeting/first reads to provide human resources orientation, including new hire paperwork.
- Prepare, deliver, collect, and file all production staff contracts (excluding actors), W-9 forms, invoices, and expense reimbursement forms with receipts.
- Liaison with Actors’ Equity Association, applying for and managing all contracts.
- Responsible for all insurance requirements, maintaining annual and special policies, and all annual federal, multiple state, and local filings.
- Maintain detailed documentation of all production activities, including final prompt scripts, receipts, financial reports, copies of agreements, memos, invoices, etc.
- Manage audience survey data project, creating and stocking surveys for box office, ensuring timely data entry, and providing reports as needed.
- Collect and distribute mail; track and make bank deposits.
- Various other responsibilities that may arise.
- Manage all accounting systems, holding staff accountable for following processes and meeting deadlines.
- With other key staff, properly secure and account for all cash sales/donations and box office/concessions supplies and equipment.
- Develop, with artistic director, and manage annual programming and operating budgets.
- Responsible for all accounts payables and receivables, including payments to artists and staff; handle all payroll requirements and AEA payments.
- Work directly with external bookkeeper/accountant on monthly reconciliation, reporting, and annual 990 prep.
- Collect, process, and file invoices and expense reimbursements with receipts.
- Develop grant and funder budgets.
- Maintain and build strong relationships with vendors and volunteers.
Qualifications & Experience
First and foremost, you’re someone who is interested in independent, socially relevant theatre and supporting the artists creating it. You thrive in fast paced environments where you’re managing multiple deadlines and projects, interacting with a variety of professionals, and you’re looking for an opportunity to develop a position with a thriving theatre embarking on its 20th anniversary season in San Francisco.
- Small theatre experience as an artist or administrator.
- Proven track record in systems development, implementation, and management.
- Basic bookkeeping experience, preferably with QuickBooks (online).
- Direct responsibility for accounts payable and receivable in an organization of similar size and scope.
- Cooperative workstyle that recognizes limitations of staff schedules.
- HR and management experience, preferably in the San Francisco non-profit community.
This is a part-time, exempt position.
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; please use “General Manager” in the subject line.
Custom Made is always excited to receive resumes and portfolios from local designers and technicians (stage managers, too!) We offer a stipend in line with other small, independent theatres and hire on a show-by-show basis.
We are currently actively looking for submissions from:
- Stage Mangers (send resume to labrams at custommade dot org)
- Lighting Designers (send resume to labrams at custommade dot org)
- Scenic Designers (send resume to labrams at custommade dot org)
- Costume Designers (send resume to labrams at custommade dot org)
- Properties Designers (send resume to labrams at custommade dot org)
Board of Directors
Interested in helping us reach the next stage of our development? Custom Made is always interested in hearing from prospective members of our Board of Directors who can bring their professional experience to our organization.
Current board members range from corporate executives to veteren members of the Bay Area theatre community.
Can you help us grow? Contact Executive Director Leah Abrams at labrams at custommade dot org
Custom Made is always looking for volunteer help, from selling concessions at our show to helping with whatever your area of speciality is.
Front of house volunteers get to see the show for free when they volunteer. In exchange for arriving early (usually an hour before showtime) we ask you to help set up and then sell concessions, present a friendly face to our patrons, and then grab your seat! Volunteers should write company manager, Paul Stout, at pstout at custommade dot org
All other areas of volunteering, please contact Executive Director Leah Abrams at labrams at custommade dot org
Custom Made casts actors from all over the Bay Area. We attend Theatre Bay Area’s general auditions, and when warranted have our own open calls and general auditions.
We are always accepting resumes and headshots. For consideration please email to gabrielaross at yahoo dot com